Many people ask what they can do to improve themselves and their lives. The bigger question is, “How do I get from where I am to where I want to be?” The numbers tell us that 95% of the population are dissatisfied with life, yet so many people don’t realize that change is just one small step away. Often just making one small change enlivens us to such a degree that we find the courage to take the next step.
So where do you start?
First, identify what is most important thing to you. Assess your life exactly as it actually is right now. What is and isn’t working and what needs improvement?
Scale your opinion from 1 to 5, (1 = needs major improvement. 5 = perfect) rate your satisfaction in these areas of your life:
- PHYSICALLY: Are you happy with your appearance, Health, Weight, Flexibility, Strength and energy levels?
- PROFESSIONALLY: Are you Passionate about career, how it’s advancing, challenges, doing what you love and is your performing excellent?
- FINANCIALLY: Are you content with your income, credit rating, savings, net worth, investment strategy, financial security and do you have enough money for you to do what you’d like?
- PERSONALLY: Are you having fun, travelling, taking time for yourself and enjoying your environment?
- EMOTIONALLY: Are you learning and growing, not easily angered, happy, grateful, forgiving and do you feel supported and loved?
LEGACY: Do you contribute your time to people in need, donate money to good causes, feel like your life matters, are you making a difference and do you know what your life purpose is?
- RELATIONALLY: What are your relationships like with your spouse, children, parents, siblings, friends, mentor and do you spend time with the people who you truly care about?
- SPIRITUALLY: Are you actively growing, praying/meditating regularly, involved in any spiritual community, expanding faith, regularly expressing love toward others and living in peace?
Review your evaluation. Which area needs the greatest improvement? Choose three imperative areas and consider what improvement could make a significant change in your life right now. Ask yourself, if there were no restrictions and you could only win, what would you want for yourself? What are you not willing to settle for in your life anymore?
Now write ONE thing for each of the important aspects of your life that you’d like to improve and answer these questions.
- Why must I achieve this goal?
- What will it cost me if I don’t achieve this goal?
- Am I willing to do what is necessary to make this happen?
- Do I really want this or does someone want this for me?